Monday, 25 June 2012

A new obsession

Where to begin?  How about with a "HELLO!"  I have not been hibernating but I do feel like I have been in a dark hole, a bit like the Hobbit really.  Too many trees keeping the sun away from our house.  As a result I have become obsessed with chopping down trees to give us more light.  Our new home could be fabulously bright and airy and I am determined to make it so.  We have taken down nearly 30 tall 60/70ft trees so far.  Boy, is it hard work.  Soon have muscles like Pop Eye!

 
I have also been busy making for the Moy Field Sports Fair in August. I have a stall for both days. Remember the fabric I screen printed?  Well, I made it up into 4 large cushions.  Naturally, I have backed them with wool tartans that are woven in Scotland - it's such lovely fabric to work with. 






After writing this, I will make a start on painting some small pieces of furniture for the Fair.  I know that August seems a few weeks off but our schools finish for the summer holidays this Friday (blimey, how did that happen so quickly?!)  so spending hours felting, painting or sewing is not really an option during the day.......bit boring for others really.  


Had a run of visitors recently too.  Spent some great days out visiting galleries with Binnie.  I love this huge lizard by Helen Denerley which adorns the front of the Kilmorack Gallery. 


Went to Dornoch and had a wander round the Cathedral, you know, where Madonna married Guy Ritchie.  It was full of American tourists, I guess for that very reason..... or possibly they were playing golf at the Royal Dornoch.  The windows are wonderful.  The village is pretty and interesting.





Before I go here is a photo of Mr Chainsaw.  I am Chief Stacker.


Must catch up on some blogs now.
See you soon!

Love,
 Katie x

13 comments:

  1. Lovely- everything is lovely-the cushions,the stained glass windows...and where you live sounds truly idyllic..Hope the sun is shining through for you very soon!
    Warm Wishes,
    Callie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie
    Thanks for the lovely comments on my posts, good to have you back!
    Your new blog 'look' and header are so natural and inspiring, makes me yearn to explore Scotland, and your cushions are absolutely beautiful!
    Love, sally x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the shot of your cushions all lined up on the bench with the (very neat) wood pile behind.
    The details from the stained glass windows are just gorgeous.
    Good luck with the tree felling, perhaps it'll help with the midgies too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous cushions- you will sell loads.
    And I swooned when I saw your new header, stunning. Ax

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh WOW I love the cushions and what a great idea to back them in tartan. I also love a good old stained glass window or two, but in their proper place in cathedrals and churches. To see the light flooding through them is very uplifting. Do send Mr Chainsaw round when he finishes there, we have a small clutch of trees in the garden that need to come down. I have only been waiting about ten years or so, husband likes to limber up to these things slowly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! Those stained glass windows are divine, really beautiful. I wonder who designed and made them. Good luck with your craft fair. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cushions are great. I so understand about the taking down of trees. I posted a while back about ours coming down too. It really opens up the views and lets the light in. The log pile is so satisfying. What is is with men and their chainsaws. My Scottish husband is completely in love with his. Thanks to you to for following me back, i thought your blog photos were just lovely and peaceful to look at, Your new house is fantastic i;ll look forward to seeing interior shots. Hope you settle in nicely. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have been busy - and you won't go short of firewood next winter! I love your cushions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the cushions - looks like a page out of a 'Country Living' shoot. Gorgeous windows too.
    Thanks for all your comments on my blog. M x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are fantastic stained glass windows -- love the mushroom in the one.
    Trees are lovely but who wants to be in the dark all the time. We are so hot here though we welcome shade!
    Love your pillows!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck with the fair Katie. You must bring some of your brooches and pins too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Katie, your cushions look fab! I've been to the print studio a few times since our course. I just love it:) Have you thought any more about your screen printed curtains? Joanna x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome back Katie! Who wouldn't love to spend some quiet time at Bag End at the end of Bagshot Row? But I must admit I am so glad to see you again!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it's lovely to hear from you. Katie x