Wednesday, 17 October 2012

How long?

Hello!  It has been such an age since I have been in blogland.  Nothing bad has happened, I have just been busy building.  Yes, I know that sounds unlikely, or maybe to those who know me well, unsurprising.  I decided over the summer that rather than employ a joiner to convert the outbuilding I had earmarked for VS studio shop, I would do it myself.  Yes, you read that correctly!  Rob bought me a circular saw and a really good drill and with careful thought, consideration, planning and many lists, I got on with it ..... and actually really enjoyed doing it.  I covered the building in breather membrane then insulated it before lining out the walls and ceiling.  The electrician came to install power and lights.  I insulated the doors, then tongued and grooved them (really enjoyed that bit, so if you ever need some help, just give me a shout!). Two coats of paint and a bit of upcycling and hey presto!  It isn't even vaguely professional and a joiner would probably wince on entering the building but I reckon that no one will notice any of my handiwork because white paint disguises everything.

Before I show you some photos, I must let those who live in the Dunkeld & Perth area know that Vintage Squirrel will be at the Birnam Hotel this Saturday and Sunday from 10 -5 pm both days selling lots of felted loveliness, textiles,  painted vintage things, etc at Exclusively Highland's 'Meet the Maker' fair.  Pop in and say hello, I always welcome a chat!











Still quite a bit to do before the Grand Opening at the end of the month, but I am getting there, in between trying to get stock made for the next 4 weekends of fairs.  Think I'll be burning the candle at both ends for a bit longer and it is going to take a while before I get round to reading some of my favourite blogs but things are good.

Glad to be back, I have missed you all.
Katie x

12 comments:

  1. I am so jealous. You must be able to see how green I am even at this distance!
    It all looks amazing. You cleverclever thing. And good luck with it all, lovely to have you back, Ax

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Katie! so impressed with your construction skills. Will make my way to the Black Isle one of these days...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Magic Bean, thank you and it is so nice to be back. RLlou, it will be lovely to see you when you are able to come up - the kettle will be on! Kx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm super-impressed with your carpentry skills -your studio looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dawn and thanks. It's amazing what can be achieved through sheer grit and determination. I see you have been busy over the summer too with exam study etc and I hope it went well for you. Kx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks fantastic, great job, it must feel good to have done it yourself too (especially now it's done!). Good Luck with the Grand Opening...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks andamento, it is a good feeling of satisfaction. Must curb the enthusiasm though as I heard myself say to Rob 'Oh, well, I could put that stud wall up now'. NO! Stop right there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so good to hear from you. I am astounded at what you have been up to. It all looks amazing! What a wonderful space for you to create in!! It is the stuff of my dreams!! I really can't wait for the next update! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what you have achieved is amazing! I am rather jealous of your fab studio, so much space. I'd love to come and hang out there in your white whicker chair and have a chat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you Lesley and FK you are more than welcome to come up and hang out, although the chair is now sold! Would love to bake a cake and welcome in any of you lovely bloggers. Kx

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is SO impressive - well done you! I feel very effete and girly, I just wouldn't know where to begin. How satisfying to be sitting in your very own created/ creative space.
    Sorry to hear I missed your visit to Birnam. That'll teach me to visit blogland more often!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is incredible crafts(wo)manship!I AM IMPRESSED! How proud and satisfied you must be. I am looking forward to seeing you back online!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it's lovely to hear from you. Katie x